Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review of Vogue 1312

I fell in love with Vogue 1312 and had to make it! I loved the full seamed skirt, and an opportunity to tackle my sewing nemesis, the invisible zipper and lining. Turned out this was a great project for giving the appearance of difficulty, but was surprisingly easy to make given the impact of the finished dress.

Vogue 1312

Here is my review submitted to PatternReview.com:

Pattern Description:
From the pattern envelope: Pullover dress has close-fitting, self-lined bodice, raised waist, seamed skirt, stitched hem and invisible side zipper.

Pattern Sizing:
Muti-sized pattern: B5 (8-10-12-14-16) and F5 (16-18-20-22-24) I cut my dress in a size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The Vogue instructions were easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the unique skirt of this dress. It is easy to put together, but there are no bust darts in the bodice which I missed. (I feel like I could have made the 12 everywhere but the highest point of my bust. I feel that darts may have helped. I am a nursing mom, so that is probably more a function of my body and not the pattern.)

Fabric Used:
I used a cotton/ poly blend for the dress. It was a denim colored broadcloth that I bought on sale at Joann's fabric.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and Yes!. Even though it is a unique dress, I wouldn't mind making one in a knit without the zipper in a smaller size. I am 5'8, so I think I would add about 5 inches to make it a maxi dress. I am also thinking of converting it to a skirt.

Conclusion:
Great dress to sew and wear. The zipper installation was super easy as were the instructions for the lining.

4 comments:

  1. Love the dress and the stance of course!! One of these days I will try my hand at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! We can Skype a lesson when you are ready to begin.

      Delete
  2. I have successfully made the bodice and underskirt but am confused. I am putting zip in today but second layer of fabric doesn’t appear to allow for zip. Am I mid reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm not sure of the problem you're having. It's not clear whether you did not cut the lining the same way as the bodice or if you are attempting to insert the zipper into the lining and the bodice. It's been years since I made this pattern, but your lining should have allowed for an opening for the zipper. When you install the zipper in the bodice, the lining is kept free and then tacked in place over the zipper tape when you are done. Hope that helps.

      Delete