Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My new sewing machine covers are complete!

My darling machines have been naked for so long. I have been throwing scrap fabric or old pillowcases over them when I don't use them. I know it is bad, but it was under the misguided belief that it would not be covered long. I finally faced facts and decided to make covers for my two machines and Serger. I was eager to use these embroidery patterns from my stash. 



embroidery patterns
I also had this pattern from 1999 in my stash and thought it would work great for my purposes.




Here is my review of Simplicity 8826:
Pattern Description:
 

Sewing room accessories I made a sewing machine cover using the Serger pattern
Pattern Sizing:                        
 

One size

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
 

Yes, the shape, but I modified the rest. I embroidered the front of each with patterns from Sewing Revolutions embroidery designs. I made three covers, one says “Material girl”, another says “Sewing mends the Soul” and the last (a wip) says “Happiness is homemade”.  I added black piping to the seams.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
 

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
 

I disliked that the pattern called for creating your own quilted lining. I had some ugly pre-quilted stuff in my stash, so I used it instead. I liked that there were only three pieces.

Fabric Used:
 

Cotton /poly blend for suits; black piping and Nell’s  hand dyed embroidery floss.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I added piping, embroidery, and I reduced the size. The front and back panels were the proper size for my machines, but the middle piece was twice as wide as I needed. I cut it in half and found it perfect for my Brother machine, and Singer Heavy duty, but, I will keep it the original size for my Serger.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
 

I will be in trouble if I need to cover a fourth machine! I would recommend it.

Conclusion:
Good base pattern that allows for customization.


Here are photos of the completed covers:
Sewing mends the Soul

Sewing mends the Soul detail

Material Girl Sewing machine cover
Material Girl detail
The last cover is still a work in progress:
Happiness is homemade
 Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment