Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Updated to include photos of another version of the: Vinatge Simplicity 7454 dress



I love vintage patterns, fabrics, and retro 70's style. When I resale shop, I frequently look for and snag these items when I find them. About a year or two ago, I discovered this little gem at a thrift store.




With little ones and needing clothing with nursing access, this pattern wasn't very practical to make. Now that Little Man is older, I thought now was a perfect season to make this great dress. I also have the additional motivation to make it since joining the Stash Busting Contest hosted by Pattern Review.com  Below are photos and a review of the completed dress.


Full Length

I love the neckline

Cross back
Here is the new version of the dress made in a Charcoal Grey Linen from Hancock Fabrics. Here, the fabric look almost identical! They are not in reality :).


Full length Linen Dress on B.I.R.A.



Back Detail with the omitted ties.


Here is my review of the pattern:

Pattern Description: Misses Pullover dress in two lengths (out of print circa 1976. This one is as old as I am!)

Pattern Sizing: My range was a medium 12-14, I cut the 12 and graded down to what could be a small. I sewed the entire thing with a 1inch seam allowance. So that amounted to removing 4 inches around.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes! I made the long version.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the length, the cross over back, and the huge pockets. I disliked that I had to construct the body of the dress before adding the pockets. With all of the fabric in the long dress, it was cumbersome, but not impossible, to sew.

Fabric Used: Thrift-ed cotton menswear fabric (specific content unknown). It has the look of lightweight denim.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I sewed the entire thing with a 1-inch seam allowance. So that amounted to removing four inches around. I edge finished the seams with my serger. On the linen version, I omitted the ties and sewed in a hook and eye closure.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, and yes. I love the look of this dress! I plan to make it in the short version using a tan linen fabric. I will also use a twin needle for the top stitching next time. I am still hoping to sew a tan version of this dress. The fabric store didn't have the color I wanted when I bought the grey fabric.

Conclusion: This is a fun dress. Easy to make and fun to wear! If you can find it, buy it and make it!

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Just saw your review over at PR and wanted to say that I love your version of this pattern. The 70's is my fave decade for patterns but they are getting harder to find in the thrift stores here, am going to keep my eye out for this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra! I snag them whenever I get a chance. I hope you have some luck with this one!

    ReplyDelete