Saturday, May 18, 2013

Quilted Bag with leather strap

I love love love handbags! I love handbags, like some women love shoes. I wouldn't say I am a hoarder, but I have more than my hubby would say is reasonable.  I love making them and have a stash of patterns and many books from which to choose. I haven't made a bag for myself however, in over a year! Hubby gifted me a fantastic Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag last year, so I haven't felt the need to scratch a handbag itch since then.

One of the projects my students complete during our round of lessons is a bag. I have a go to bag pattern that I have used in the past, but recently, we chose a new one. McCalls 6668  Cell Phone/Computer Sleeve and Bag by Nancy Zieman is the one. This pattern features four options of bags to be made with double-sided quilted fabric. The cute little bags in this pattern got me excited again about making bags for myself!

Double-sided quilted fabric is not particularly inexpensive at about $20 per yard. I have bought it in the past and will do so again, but for a new pattern for a lesson, I wasn't willing to do so. I wanted to test it before going to the expense. I found this sweet deal at Marshall's. It is a set of  2 quilted pillow shams in a color pallet I like. The clearance price is $12, but I got it for $2 with a $10 reward coupon!



The shams had enough fabric to accommodate the bag in View C that the students and I made.


Print detail

 The pattern required making a strap from the quilted fabric, but the color tones just screamed brown leather accents to me. I had a leather belt in my stash that I bought at a thrift store I just knew I could use as a substitute.  I removed the buckle and simply threaded the lower tab into one of the loops on either end. I folded it down and then secured it to the tab.



Here is the completed bag!



The strap is long enough to be a crossbody bag!


I love the look of the strap! It really classes it up! I like the details of the pattern too! The zipper ends were a pain to figure out initially and seemed unnecessary considering the zipper fit as is, but I love them. The zipper pull tabs are elements that could be omitted, but are really handy.


Here is my review of this pattern.



 Pattern Description:

CELL PHONE/COMPUTER SLEEVES AND BAGS: Cell Phone Sleeve A: 31/2"W. x 5"L.. Computer Sleeve B: 9"W. x 14"L.. A,B have contrast binding. Crossover Bag C: 12"W. x 131/2"L.. Saddle Bag D: two 12"W. x 131/2"L.. Measurements are approximate and exclude straps.
Designed for Double-Sided Pre-quilted Fabrics.
SUGGESTED FABRICS: Double-Sided Pre-quilted Fabrics. Contrast A,B: Cotton/Cotton Blends.

Pattern Sizing:
One Size

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, with the exception of the leather shoulder strap I added.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. The zipper tabs installation was a bit tricky, but not terrible.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I used this pattern in a lesson and liked how satisfied my students were with their results. The bag is very roomy and current. I disliked that sewing through the layers at points was very difficult on older machines. My student broke needles when sewing over the strap tabs. I suggest staggering the thickness so it is not as thick in that area.

Fabric Used:
I used a quilted pillow sham

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I substituted a leather belt for the fabric strap called for in the pattern.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would definitely recommend this and I will make it again.

Conclusion:
This pattern is good for a guided beginner.  

Happy Sewing



No comments:

Post a Comment