Monday, July 8, 2013

Lisette Tote Bag Simplicity 1905

I have had this pattern in my stash since it was released. I was holding off making it because I knew I wouldn't use it for a long time. My hubby bought me great bag and I don't want to discourage that by not using it every chance I got.   I finally decided to use it when I chose to mix up the bag project in my most recent  round of sewing lessons. I thought that it had many elements that could build student skills: lining, a zipper, pockets, straps, carrier and pleats.  I am happy with my finished bag and my students produced great bags. I will not however, use this pattern again for lessons. Read my review below to see why.

Lisette Simplicity 1905
Pattern Description: Tote, handbag with cosmetic or pencil case.

Pattern Sizing: One Size

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I have made about 8 Amy Butler bags, so for me these instructions were intuitive. I skimmed them and used them as a reference, but didn’t really follow them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the size and style of the bag. I also like the pocket two options.

Here is the bag on my B.I.R.A. dress form

Zipper pocket
My student were overwhelmed with the process of making this bag and I may not use it again for that purpose.

I disliked the time it took to make. This was not a fast bag to construct. It looks effortless from the pattern, but this bag is a time suck! The use of sew-in-interfacing takes a really long time to stitch. (This is not a deal breaker on making the bag if you love it. Like I said, I have made Amy Butler bags and they require similar effort, but you know that going in, so you deal.)

Fabric Used:
A home decor remnant from a thrift store grab bag. It is a champagne colored polyester fabric with a black flocked mod motif. The lining and tie is from my stash.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the entire bag with one fabric and only made the tie in a contrasting fabric. I made inverted pleats instead of the three folded pleats they suggested.

Inverted pleats
 My fabric was too thick to make attractive pleats. The flocking portions when doubled were too dense.



Flocking of the design
Would you sew it again?
Would you recommend it to others? I like this, but I will not sew it again. I have many other bags I have yet to make, and others I would rather remake. I recommend this if you love it; if you are on the fence, I say pass.

Conclusion:
Do it if you love it and have the time.

There is still time to enter my giveaway!

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment