Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Tie Neck Top Simplicity 0273

Every time  I begin a blog post I struggle to find a suitable introduction. I feel the need to explain how and why I have come to construct the garment I have made. Am I going to an event? Is it a gift? Who is it for? Let me let you in on a secret, I don't have a reason most days! I love sewing! If I find a pattern or fabric I like, I use them! I am a stay-at-home mom of two; I don't go anywhere! Where I do go usually doesn't require a dress code beyond jeans and a top! When I sew, I do it for the love of sewing. No other reason!

That brings us here to the tie neck top from Simplicity. I purchased this in the early summer and recently made it. As I prepared to write this review, I couldn't find it on their website or on patternreview.com. Turns out it has been repackaged as Simplicity 1661. (Not sure which is chicken and which is egg). Below is my review and my project photos.






Pattern Description: Misses’ Top with Sleeve Variations

Pattern Sizing: 6-14. I cut the 10.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were very easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?


 I liked the details of the top. The peek-a-boo sleeves, the tie neck, pleats and the back slit. I like that there are many variations possible in this pattern.
Once I made the top, I decided that I do not like the back slit of the top. I think it goes up too high and causes the fabric to sit in an unflattering way.

Fabric Used: A tone on tone white cotton with a circle, flower motif.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

  
I will make it again in a lighter weight fabric and I will omit the back slit. I may cut the 8 next time, but I am still on the fence about that. It is a bit billowy in back and I am not sure if that is because of the slit or the size. 

Conclusion: Good pattern with unique variations.
Peek a boo sleeves

Back Slit that I will omit next time.

The slit is really long

Sleeve and neck tie
Pleat details on back on my dress form

All tucked in.
Happy Sewing


No comments:

Post a Comment