I have completed my entry dress for the BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern Contest. It took only one and a half weeks of nap-time and bedtime sewing. Given what was involved from start to finish, I am surprised that I completed it so quickly!
- First, the pattern was traced and cut (my least favorite part). From the original pattern, I omitted the facings and instead used a double layer of jersey fabric; blue for the top and cream underneath. I also omitted the back zipper and instead used a six inch slit and hook and eye closure.
- The top fabric was painted with the Angie's Fall stencil with fabric paint and allowed to dry overnight.
- Next, I began hand stitching around the shape using running and reverse back stitches leaving the thread tails and knots visible on the right side of the fabric.
- I then, hand beaded sequins and seed beads inside the shapes. This process is completely new to me and I think I did a fair job of it. I learned some "what not to dos", but all in all I am happy with it.
- The dress was then hand sewn together, then the side and shoulder seams felled to the wrong side and sewn.
- Finally, I bound the neck and arm holes securing them with a herringbone stitch.
The contest deadline has been extended to February 15th, so there is still time for you to get your entry in!