Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lace Hem Tunic



Recently, I have been doing a lot of sewing for other people. Garment and costume construction, alterations for weddings, and sewing holiday gifts for friends and family. At every opportunity Little Miss, is in my studio sorting buttons and choosing patterns and playing in my fabric. She is eager to learn to use a machine, but until then she wants to know, "What are you going to make for me?" 

I have a long list of sewing for her including a dress for her and her dolls. I needed a quick project to show her some love before I got to sewing more elaborate pieces. I choose to make a tunic using Mccalls 6827.
                      M6827
I like this pattern because it was so fast to whip up and I was able to use scraps from other garments (This fact unfortunately, reinforces my hoarding of scraps!).  Here are pictures of Little Miss in the dress and a pattern review follows.
 
Front

Side Lace Inset

Back

 
Pattern Description: CHILDREN'S/GIRLS' TOPS AND LEGGINGS: Pullover tops have sleeve and hemline variations (wrong side may show), and narrow hem. A and B: tie ends. C: pocket. D: side panels. Leggings have elastic waist and stitched hems. Elasticized two-piece sleeves A and knees E:

Pattern Sizing: 2-5, I made a 5. I think I could have gotten away with the 4 easily for a perfect fit.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked how quick it was to sew. My daughter loves the lace hemline.

Fabric Used: A grey ponte knit and a cotton lace for the hem inset.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The sleeves of the 5 were too long for her so I hemmed them deeper than suggested.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will definitely sew this again. Little Miss has chosen her fabric for the next one. I like the other tops in this pattern and will make the leggings as well.

Conclusion: This was really fast and easy to make. The contrast hem adds a small detail that implies more effort than it took. 

Happy Sewing,
Bianca 

2 comments:

  1. Love the tunic and especially how proud your daughter looks wearing it. You are inspiring me to sew some clothes and finish up a couple Alabama Chanin projects. So many ideas, so little time. Thanks for sharing.

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! I know the feeling. The more I sew, the more I need to sew!

      Delete