Saturday, May 17, 2014

High Waist Skater Girl Skirt by Special Request.


I recently had a custom order to make a skirt that was inspired by my African Print Maxi Skirt. My customer wanted a skater length skirt, but with a wide removable belt. She wanted  the option to have it worn belted to give a high-waist look. The trick with this project was that she lives states away and I had to make it based on her self reported measurements. I have heard it said, "Never lie to your seamstress about your size of you doctor about your symptoms". Luckily, she reported her measurements accurately and I got to work.

She choose a cotton tropical print fabric from choices from my stash. I used Mccalls 5631 view "C" and omitted the border.


Here are photos of the completed skirt on my custom dress form and on the owner!

Un-belted Skirt

High Waist belted.

Belted Back

Worn by my happy customer.
Here is a review of the pattern:

Pattern Description: Pattern Description: Flared mid-knee skirts have self or contrast yoke, contour waistline, side zipper.

Pattern Sizing: 6-20

Did it look like the photo envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think it does

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved the fullness of the skirt. It is made using pleats first and gathers after. I disliked the sizing on this one, I found it ran small. My customer is a size 4 RTW and based on the measurements, needed to cut the 12.


Fabric Used: A cotton print from my stash.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: This was a custom order that was inspired by my African Print Maxi Skirt.. She wanted a skater length skirt, but with a belt. I added a 5 foot long belt, so it could be worn to give a high-waist look.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I have no plans to make it again, but I am not opposed to it. Because of the sizing issue, I hesitate to recommend this one.

Conclusion: My customer loved it! She said it is perfect for Salsa dancing. She liked the removable belt and fullness of the skirt. I think she looks great in it. I am very proud of the fit considering all communication was virtual. She is a fit size 4, so it would have been hard to mess this up.

2 comments:

  1. Crazy how off the sizing is?? A good reminder that measurements matter. Your client is gorgeous as is your skirt. Nicely done.

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! She is a Crossfit beast! I wish I could be her when I grow up, but I would rather sew :)

    ReplyDelete