Sunday, August 9, 2015

What the frock? Simplicity 1080 Dottie Angel Dress

Hello friends, I am back from my brief blog departure. I took a break to have a medical procedure. All is well now, I am feeling great and ready to get back to sewing. 

You all know I like kind of weird, slightly unusual clothing and fabrics. Not out of this world and avant garde, but just slightly quirky. You can refresh your memories with: my adjustable hem Vogue dress, my Ikea button dress my vogue Cirque dresses and my Twister Mat Raincoat.

While out resale shopping last week, I stumbled across this funky fabric. 



I got four yards for like $3 and couldn't pass it up. The colors were fun the print clearly retro '60's or '70's. It is just slightly ugly and I love it! My ever helpful daughter wondered what I would make and suggested a tablecloth and table runners for Halloween :).  I had something a little more wearable in mind. This Simplicity "granny chic frock" pattern was at the top of my list. Isn't it adorable?

                   

I saw this pattern paired with my fabric to make a nice wearable muslin for future dresses. I quickly got to work finding coordinating fabric. I chose a yellow with white polka dot for the contrast skirt and a small scale orange print for the pocket.





The construction is fairly simple if not slightly different than typical dress construction. 

It calls for bias trim along the pockets. 



Bias trim to finish the neckline and sleeve edges.


It also suggested bias trim along the bodice and contrast seam. I omitted this step and edge finished the seam with a serger. The pattern also called for French seams on the side seams. I chose to omit them and sewed a regular seam. This was a necessity due to error on my part. The sizes for the front pattern are single sized. It was my intention to cut the size small based on my measurements. "Little Miss" came into the sewing room to help and I got distracted. I ended up cutting the extra small for the front and the small for everything else. 

I did not notice this error until it was time to construct. This meant that I needed to make up the fabric loss. To do this, I simply sewed the front to back at the side seams with my serger. I used the distance from the edge of my serger foot to the needle as my seam allowance which resulted in about a 1/4 inch seam that I reinforced on my machine. Given the ease in this dress I don't see it as a major fit problem. As a matter of fact, it fits just right to me.

I like this pattern. I really like the tucks along the bustline to give definition where darts would normally be. In addition, the construction allows you to insert the ties within to tuck and not the side seam.

Tucks and tie. 
I like the wide scoop of the neckline that is not indecent when leaning forward. 


I like this little frock. More than that, I like this pattern. If my fabric choice is not your cup of tea, do not let that dissuade from making this one up. 




I can just see this one with a long sleeved top, tights and boots come Fall. Stay tuned for an upcoming variation in a subtle color scheme.   


Before making this, I polled the Thanks! I Made Them Facebook Page on my fabric and pattern pairing. Some were skeptical others thought it would work. What do you think?

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

28 comments:

  1. Hi, Bianca
    This "frock" is uniquely you and you look adorable! I can't wait to see your next version! I admire your enthusiasm about sewing! It is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loretta! I am a ridiculous sewing addict :) glad to share the obsession!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! The fabrics are really cute and the colors look perfect on you! You make THE BEST clothes and look great in them. I just bought this pattern because of the simple cuteness of the shape. They also styled the pattern envelope pix really well. I'm going to make the tunic length to wear over skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! I do have some nicely dressed clothes hangers :) You will not be disappointed with this one. There is a PR review of a tunic length version in a single print that is very cute. Be sure to take a look, it is cute!

      Delete
  3. I think it is just perfect! Using another fabric takes the end result completely out of the "homemade" category. And it is adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The "homemade", "hand- crafted" line was very thin given my fabric choice. I am glad I made it on the positive side of things :)

      Delete
  4. This is really cute! You have such a great eye for seeing the possibility in things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! My husband has taken to just smiling and nodding when I lay out my plans for most things. He says he cannot see my vision, but trusts that I can!

      Delete
  5. Checking Google for info on this pattern and had to comment-this is fabulous. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and saying so! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. I searched Pinterest for this dress and I've seen a few but this is the one that sold me on the pattern. I have a serious weakness for fabrics that are just a tad "ugly", too!! My husband does the same thing, just shakes his head and says "If it makes you happy, bebe" lol I love both of your versions of this pattern and thank you for sharing your passion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So my pinning has not been in vain! I am so glad you like my version and will make one, or a few, of your own. It sounds like you have a wonderful husband too!

      Delete
  7. I realy , realy love it. I live in Brazil and it s my country collor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realy , realy love it. I live in Brazil and it s my country collor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic! Thanks for the closeup of the tucks. I am making the frock now and couldn't quite figure out the tucks. This helped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Bianca...your dress is stunning. It is surely one of my favorites using this pattern and the colors are perfect for you! A+ all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy!I really like this dress too! I am thinking of making another :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. Lovely! You make the fabric come alive with your choices of complementing fabric and trim. Thanks for posting your make/review! I just bought this pattern and am now even more excited to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so! Best of luck with your dress.

      Delete
  12. Great dress and looks terrific on you! Your fabric choice has given me an idea about making this dress myself. I'm going to use cotton quilting fabric strips from "jellyrolls" to "make" my own fabric. In case you didn't know, Jellyrolls are strips coordinated quilting fabric, cut 2 1/2 inches wide and 44 inches long, and all rolled up like a jellyroll the size of a small plate, that come pre-cut for quilt makers. In this case you can mix and match fabrics that you really like to make the top part of the dress. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This will look great with jellyrolls! I wouldn't have the patience to stitch all those pieces together. Please share when done.

      Delete
  13. Very chic I love love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your version--it's totally different from the usual choices and you look stunning in it! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful colours and nicely made. I'm working on my own version at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute!I really want to make this, but the pattern seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

    ReplyDelete