Saturday, September 12, 2015

Improve Boring Wovens with Reverse Applique


Waiting, waiting, waiting! So we are waiting to find out who advances and who
has won the first round of the PR Sewing Bee. While I have a few “must sew” 
commissions that I am working on, I needed a creative break and decided to 
try a reverse applique process on woven fabrics using an out of print Muu-Muu 
pattern. 

               S8793

I “made” my fabric to transform my fabric. I used a boring grey (I am from the Bahamas and this is how we spell it) colored cotton for the exterior of the dress.  I stenciled a design on the top fabric using blue metallic fabric paint. 

Once dry, I basted the cut fabric pieces together, wrong side of solid to the
right side of the print. I machine stitched around the shapes using cobalt blue
topstitch thread and an open toe foot.

I toyed with adding accents of white embroidery floss around some shapes. Given the style of the pattern, I decided it did not improve the overall look I was going for.
I am very excited with this result.


                   

Such a pity to have to remove the middle painted areas. It is my fault for being lazy and not airbrushing, I used a pump spray with a less precise nozzle. 
Let it dry before removing the stencil.
                 

Once all stitched, I cut away the middles leaving a little of the painted fabric along the edge. This revealed the blue, white and green Lissette print fabric beneath.

Cutting with extreme caution.


Reverse Applique Dress in Woven Fabrics.
    
I really like the fun of this neckline.
I sort of stitched it up per the pattern instructions. It had a lot of ease and was a bit more paper baggy than I liked. I took an inch from the sides and added back darts to adjust the fit. I reversed the opening to the back so as to not interrupt the pattern on the front. I made a ridiculously long tie for the back. I sometimes get dressed alone find a long tie easier to work with.

                            

I left the back plain for contrast and speed.

                         


Did I add pop to the drab grey or what?
Close up of shapes.


I had such fun making this! I was not sure how it would all work. I am thrilled with it! This was a test for future sewing exploits. I am still tweaking the process and have not washed it yet and am curious and excited to see what happens. I plan to make test other shapes, patterns and variations.  As I do more with it, and use different fabrics, I will keep you posted.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca  

18 comments:

  1. I love this dress! All the work you did with making this fabric pop truly paid off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great dress shape to show off your fabric work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks so chic! Love all the work you put into the fabric. It looks just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO cool! Totally transformed that fabric, and it really does pop now! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really appreciate how fast it was to make! I know spending time on projects is not a challenge for us. It is good to have a project go from thought to execution in a week!

      Delete
  5. Total wow! You had an excellent surface design concept and paired it with a really cute pattern. You look out of this world in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tina! I am glad this worked out! I just wanted a pattern with the least number of pieces :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful dress. The cut-out fabrics are inspired. It looks amazing and you look fabulous in it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cool! I'd love to see an update on it after you've washed and worn it a few times. I hope the edges either fray in a really cool way or don't fray at all due to the paint. I'm curious to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really excited to see what happens in the wash! I have a plan for some linen which frays beautifully. I will update shortly.

      Delete
  8. Oh it's so beautiful! Yes, you most certainly made that grey pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! It makes me want to find more boring fabrics :)

      Delete
  9. I've just come across your blog. I love the work you do with reverse applique. You have a great eye and your skills are very impressive. You are inspiring me to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you make something great!

      Delete