Saturday, November 7, 2015

My Fun New Purchases From Quilt Festival

So, I am still riding my excitement from The Houston International Quilt Festival. 





I met some really great people and bought some fun things. I took the suggestion of blog reader Tina and went to the Qt Studio booth of her friend Wendy. Wendy is a fabric dye artist. She uses various techniques to achieve vibrant colors in her prints.



I loved EVERYTHING in her booth! I was exercising discretion in my spending, but I did hear this overdyed piece calling my name. At first, I thought it was dyed and block printed. It is apparently a floral print fabric that is dyed over to produce this final look. I had my mind blown; what a wonderful way to transform existing fabric.







In the same vein as fabric manipulation, I was really excited to try my hand at block printing. I almost took a class, but it conflicted with my schedule. I went to the Colouricious booth and got an awesome hands-on demo on block printing from Jamie Malden. 

Jamie Malden 

She was a fount of knowledge and was so generous with her time and expertise.


I cannot wait to get stamping! I have lots of fabric paint, but did not want to get started on the wrong foot with printing. I bought this starter paint set from Pro Chem Paints. They are the kind Jamie used and I liked the feel of the paint when dry.  



Next up! I was introduced to Paradiso Designs and the lead designer Cheryl Kuezek, She is so cool! I was drawn to the lovely dresses on display. 


Boho Frock
I was tired and ready to leave the festival before stopping at her booth. When I stopped and chatted, I was immediately invigorated talking with her about her designs! I love her style and vibe and cannot wait to sew up these patterns!  I will blog about these in detail once I get to making so stay tuned. 



Okashi Courier Bag
 On the day "Little Miss" joined me, she chose a pattern for us to work on together. She likes the closed lids of the eyes and the lace.


"Little Miss" has a hard time parting with too small clothes, especially if I made it. I think this pattern may be a good one to use scraps of those garments to make. That way she can hold onto them in a new way. 

Last but not least. I got a little something fun for me! 



I grab one of these sewing themed charms every year I go and could not resist these two this year!

I really stretched myself this Festival. I took classes, sought out new people to meet,  and tried new techniques. All of with was worth it! I am so glad I went. Next year promises to be more wonderful and I cannot wait!

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks like I missed a great time. I just back from being in Dallas for the week. We will definitely have to go together next year. But let's get together before that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did miss a good time! We must plan on next year and must plan for sooner!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about playing around with dyes in my sewing. Looks like quilters are the people to go to for techniques. So much inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really onto something, those quilters! I saw so much I want to try! The dyes seem like a good place to start! Best of luck!

      Delete
  3. Wow! So much cool knowledge! Those printing blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the blocks too! I have been playing with them a bit. It is a bit tricky, one bad placement and it could be ruined!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that you visited my friend Wendy's booth! I absolutely can't wait to see what you make with the overdyed floral print. Are you wearing that cute Simplicity pattern dress? Those printing blocks are very cool. Are they vintage? I love the look of the courier bag pattern. Again, I can't wait to see what you create with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing me to Wendy, she is an inspiration! My dress is the Simplicity tunic version of the Dottie Angel Frock :) The wood block are not vintage, they are hand carved in India, however. I am excited to use them all! :)

      Delete
  5. ooh, so many pretty things! Can't wait to see your makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If only could buy more hours in my day to make!

      Delete