So, I was stumbling over my spools of bias trim wondering what my next project with them would be. I loved the skirt I made for Little Miss and decided I wanted one for myself.
I cut the pieces for cotton in my stash. I chose fabrics I would likely not use for anything else because they would be covered by the bias strips. After sewing the long seam, I drew lines 1" apart and applied the strips 1/4" from the the edge of the strip. For this skirt, I only sewed one end of the strip down allowing the other to hang free. I began sewing at the bottom of the skirt allowing the succeeding strip to overlap the one before.
|I even like the stitching on the flip side.|
|Overskirt and underskirt|
I got to this point of the construction and did not know what to do with the upper portion. I thought going in the opposite direction would be interesting so I changed direction. It was distracting to look at so I unpicked it all. I decided to continue on the same path as before using the color from the bottom.
I joined the underskirt to the outer skirt allowing it to be lined with wrong sides together. I installed an invisible zipper and applied facing to the waistband.
The last thing to be done was the hand-sewing of the hem. I slip-stitched the entire length of it by securing it to the lining. This was a tedious, but worthwhile task to not have any stitches show on the outside.
For a project that I started without a complete vision, I am very pleased.
This skirt by the numbers:✂ Base fabric: 3 1/8 yards
✂ Rows of bias: 54
✂ Shortest length: 2.5"
✂ Longest length: 47"
✂ Total length of bias: 47 yards.
✂ Length of hem to hand sew: 5.5 yards
I love the lines of the bias and the texture it gives. The unfinished edges will weather with time, wear and washing. I am excited to watch this fall apart in the best way.
The completion of this shirt coincides with the PR Skirt contest so I have entered it. We will see how that goes.