Thursday, June 15, 2017

Cold Shoulder Goes Hot With McCalls 9238

 

Last month, I participated Me Made May on Instagram. The goal is to encourage sewists to wear something they made, everyday in May. I used the month to take a critical eye at my closet focusing on what I go-to and what I make then abandon. I found that I make many a-line dresses in wovens or one of a kind creative pieces not suitable for everyday wear. I realized that I needed to mix up my wardrobe with more everyday knit pieces.

I used the month to discover and be inspired by what other sewists make. Tipstitched shared her version of Vogue 9238, a pattern I recently purchased. Considering my newly identified void in my wardrobe I decided to make it.

Image result for vogue 9238
To make my version, I used a black and white geometric ITY knit bought from Fabric Mart over a year ago. 
I love the vertical lines and curves of the of the flounce when paired with this fabric. 


This fabric however, diminishes the  impact of the front panel. It is not a deal breaker, but keep this in mind when considering your fabric if you decide to make it. 
                                          

It is an easy dress to make and  would not be difficult for a newbie in knit sewing. It can be sewn solely on a regular sewing machine. I used this dress however, to prove I do, in fact, need all of my machines. I set one machine with a ball point needle for regular sewing, another with a twin needle for hems and did seam finishing on my serger. 

                           


I think McCalls missed an advertising opportunity with this pattern. The cold shoulder is nice, but this dress shines when the flounce is worn under the arms.

Not only does it look better, it feels better. The cold shoulder on this one got in the way a bit when I was carrying my handbag. Additionally, I love that I can wear it this way when the cold shoulder trend ends.


You have heard of secret pajamas right? Comfy clothes that feel like Pj's, but look like daytime wear. While wearing this, but before seeing these photos, I thought this dress was "secret sexy", my term for modest looking clothes that feel sexy while not looking like it. 

After seeing the pictures, I am not so sure. I think wearing it the cold shoulder way is "secret sexy". Wearing it with the flounce down, it tips to "obvious sexy" making it a perfect date night dress.
  

 Which is your favorite way to wear it? Cold or Hot?



Speaking of favorites, I entered two of my favorite creative makes in the Threads Magazine Sew Stylish Spring Challenge. They were both chosen as finalists in the contest. This is a good thing, but I am worried that it decreases my chances of winning as it splits my voting pool. Obviously, I hope people who don't know me, would love these and vote in my favor :). If you would like to vote for me, click here to go to the page. You can vote on as many devices you have :p. 

Thanks so much to those who saw my previous post and have voted for me. I appreciate it.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress. Love the bold geometric print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I am kicking myself for not using this fabric sooner. I don't think Fabric Mart has any more.

      Delete
  2. I like both ways, but I think I'm leaning towards the arms out just because it's different. I'm enjoying the cold shoulder trend, yet it's starting to feel ubiquitous, and it's good to have other options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like having options too. I saw someone saying they were soooo tired of the cold shoulder and that they wish the trend would end. Others chimed in with agreement, so I am happy to have the choice. BTW, This comment was not directed to me.

      Delete
    2. It's tricky. I think it's a great look, but like every trend, the further it trickles down the fashion train, it can start to lose something. I'm thinking about cheap workout leggings for example. The first wave of printed leggings were really cool, but now that they're everywhere and people wear them in perhaps a lot of inappropriate locales (CO is ultra casual), the mystery is somehow gone. I admire you planning for options!

      Delete
    3. I agree, having options are good. I am not a trend follower as evidenced by my vintage pattern stash. I am also an impulse buyer when the price is right. I had to grab this one when it was $.99. I had to make it before it became vintage. I too am tired of those leggings; put on some pants! :)

      Delete
  3. I think under the arm is secret sexy, and the cold shoulder is WAYYYYYY obvious sexy. Nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is so funny that you think that. :p I guess because the under arm feels more comfortable, I feel better in it.

      Delete
  4. This is a total WOW dress on you, either way! The geometric print is perfect and the fit on you is super. I bet that all of the heads turn when you are wearing this! It looks a little challenging to sew. Is it? Was your knit lightweight or more substantial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! It is ridiculous how easy it is to make considering how it looks. You will knock this out in no time. The fabric is a more substantial knit, I would say it is a step or two away from a scuba. The pattern calls for a 2-way stretch.

      Delete
  5. I never would've thought to flip the flounce under, it looks great! I think both look good but I agree, it's good to have options for when the cold shoulder trend ends. In the past I've bought a few very trend focused patterns before and now they just sit there because they're too 2013 haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Zoe, but I cannot take credit for the flounce flip. I saw on Pattern Review that several other people did it and I like it better. The good thing about fashion is cyclical and with luck(?) 2013 fashion will return :)

      Delete
  6. I tried making this dress, and it came out ok, except for the straps attaching to the back of the dress. Can you advise how you did it to make them lay flat? Currently the straps are pulling and turning the inside of the bodice band to the outside, making me look super homemade. If you have a picture, I would greatly appreciate that, as I am definitely a visual learner, and the Vogue instructions did not provide enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee Dee, do you mind emailing me a picture of the problem you are having? I will be better advised once I see what's happening. You can use the contact form on the blog.

      Delete
  7. Thanks. I will let you know when, on this post. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me confused by the blog title McCalls 9238 then mentioning McCalls again lol. I have realsised it is Vogue 9238. Wasn't sure whether you you had merged patterns at first hehe

    ReplyDelete