Saturday, August 19, 2017

Falling in Love With Caftans

You guys! You will have to stop me from making my new love, caftans. I know you may be thinking I am nuts for loving these shapeless frocks, but I do.


Photos taken by my 8 year old :) 
For better or worse, I grew up watching Mrs. Roper on Three's Company. Her Bohemian  clothes, along with her attitude subconsciously imprinted on my fashion sense.

Image result for mrs. roper caftan Image result for mrs. roper caftan Image result for mrs. roper caftanImage result for mrs. roper caftan


I own many caftan patterns and discovered that I had 2 Simplicity 5315 in my stash and knew it was time to get one made.

                                  Image result for simplicity 5315


This pattern requires almost 4 yards of 60-inch fabric. I had 4-yards of a fun black and white stripe fabric in my stash. It is a rayon/lyrca jersey that I bought from Fabric Mart a year ago. 


  
The fabric has a combination of wide and thin stripes across its width. I played with the placement using the thin ones on the upper bodice, wide ones on the skirt and a cut of black for the midriff.  
  

The back of the dress required no manipulation of the print of the fabric.


I really enjoy sewing older patterns because I learn so much. Before sewing this up, I was curious about how the armhole would be finished.


                           
I had concerns that the weight of my knit would make the opening flimsy, but it turned out great!  


Many caftans are voluminous AND shapeless. This one has some built in shaping that makes it more appealing. The midriff can be adjusted inside with seam binding ties that wraps and is secured around the body.
  


That feature along with deep V-neck makes this one a winner.



I think if Mrs. Roper wore this caftan, she wouldn't have had to work so hard to get some loving from Mr. Roper.



I will be making more caftans for sure. I am not sure if it will be from this pattern or if I will try the others in my stash. If you look closely at the photo above, you will see a line at my knee. After two knee surgeries last year, one on each knee, I am wearing braces daily. It has been very discouraging to live with chronic pain and feel out of control with my body. I have not been able to get in minimal daily step requirements or do cardio exercise for most of the year. Daily frustrations, weight gain and pain forced me to be a stronger advocate for my health. I demanded more from my doctor and my new braces are part of  my new treatment plan. They are unattractive but helping my physical and mental health. 

I love that I sew. I can make clothes to suit my physical needs and provide a creative outlet. My future sewing will include more maxi length dresses, tunics and caftans. Lucky for me, injury or not, that's what I like.

Side note: Be sure to sign in to my interview on That Sewing Blab on Tuesday. See the previous post for all the details.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

31 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, my grandmother had this pattern, and used it several times! I remember seeing her swanning around in it making breakfast and "putting her face on". This post has made me really happy, thank you! Yours is lovely. I think I'm going to have to find that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad this made you happy! I will be swanning around for sure and draping myself across the couch repeatedly!

      Delete
    2. Do you have an Etsy shop where I could buy this? It’s beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Oh you look fabulous in the caftan. You look fabulous in everything you make actually. I think the fact that it has shaping despite how voluminous it is makes is so very flattering. So sorry to hear about the chronic pain. I too am struggling with chronic pain due to back problems. You are right. You must be your own advocate. I am glad you are receiving better care. I too have experienced improvement. I go for acupuncture treatments, do in home traction and faithfully do exercises from the book Forever Painless by Miranda Esmond-White. The book has gentle exercises for people suffering from chronic pain and there is a chapter there on the knee. I don't know the details of your situation but maybe the book is worth checking out. I am only recommending it because it has been helpful for me. I am not affiliated with the author. Best wishes as you proceed with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tomasa! I am sorry to hear about your struggles with pain as well; it does a number on your morale. I will find that book and see if it helps. I appreciate the recommendation and am glad you have had positive results with it. The biggest problem is an irreparable hole in my cartilage that is the size of a silver dollar. There is a stem cell treatment I am researching, so there is hope on the horizon. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the caftan, but is the pattern number correct? I searched for it and can't pull anything up looking like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry! You are absolutely right, the number is Simplicity 5315 and there are a few one Etsy and Ebay. The caftan is one size, so can buy any size if you only want to make that one. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I have this pattern! I making it for Cocktails & Caftans! I agree, that despite the amount of yardage it is shapely, I like how the bodice is nipped in a bit and the sleeves are not so ginormous. Can't wait to get started. And, apologies if I double commented. My initial one didn't show up and I had to tell you how fabulous you look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jilly! Only one comment showed so I am glad you redid it. :) I may need to organize one of those in Houston as I can't run away to Denver. I can't wait to see yours, I know it will be wonderful!

      Delete
  5. I love this make! Very, very flattering

    ReplyDelete
  6. So irritating but so important to tell your doctor who's boss! I swear, they're taught that they are infallible just so that they can get through the day. I'm glad you're on a better path with it!

    And that caftans is the best secret-PT-wear I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, I had to stand between her and the door and demand she hear me! I had to request additional tests and remind her I was not a drug-seeking opioid addict. I am glad to be on the right track again too! Thanks!

      Caftans rock! :)

      Delete
  7. beautiful (as always). Sorry about your health issues. Praying for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stripe placement is fantastic. And I love that you used an actual vintage pattern for the caftan. Mrs. roper would have approved! You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Justine. I feel kind of guilty for taking credit. The fabric just called for this layout; it just knew it wanted to be cut this way. 😀

      Delete
  9. I too admire the stripes. You have a definite fabric genius. Keep fighting the fight for your knees and the effects on the rest of your health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I will need to put "fabric genius" on my card. 😀 Thanks for the encouragement😘

      Delete
  10. First, I have to say that this is absolutely fabulous on you. I love those vintage caftan patterns. And I hear you the benefit to sew clothes to fit in / over braces. I also wear knee braces and look for styles to hide them when I need to wear them. Sending you good healing vibes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your good vibes and prayers mean lots to me.

      Delete
  11. Oooo! I love this, especially the way you used the stripes. I was just telling some sewing friends that I love seeing all the vintage patterns you make in modern fabric--it Makes them seem super fresh and new. I'm sorry about your knees. It's so hard to live with pain. I'm so glad you have some new options. I hope they help. Sending hugs over the interwebs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa! Retro revamps are my jam! ❤ I really needed to speak up about my health. Little Miss asked if I would ever run with her? It broke my heart! Mind you, I wasn't much of a runner, unless I was being chased, before 😂. Now at least, we can ride bikes together.

      Delete
  12. I love the way you placed the stripes. Your caftan looks amazing on you. So sorry to hear about your health. Chronic pain can really decrease morale. I'm glad there's hope. I pray that everything works out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The encouragement of the sewing community really helps.

      Delete
  13. It's GORGEOUS! Love it love it love it. I'm so sorry that you are suffering with your legs. Have you ever tried water aerobics? I have a bad knee on the left and a bad ankle on the left and have spent a good bit of time limiting my movements and walking with a cane, wearing braces, etc. Last April I found a water aerobics class and it has been a miracle for me! Perhaps it might help you. Putting you on my healing prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, Thanks so much! I have tried pool exercises, but not a structured class. I end up feeling worse after. I am able to do work on the elliptical and treadmill. I am trying to build strength to get up to cardio intensity.

      Delete
  14. You look fabulous! You wear 70s styles so well. The ties make all the difference. How cool to have this big shape that still has shaping to it--it's beautiful! With my propensity to burn in the sun, I might have to try this out to keep myself protected in summer. I'm glad you've found a better situation for your knees. I hope the braces start to give you some relief from the pain and can help you regain some of the mobility. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth! I agree the ties make all the difference. I have a caftan pattern that uses shirring for the shaping; I may try that one soon.

      Delete
  15. This is such a gorgeous use of that fabric! Found your post while trying to make sense of the instructions with the pattern. I can't seem to figure it out--should I just trust it and go step by step or are there any tips/tricks to it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traci, so much for stopping by and appreciating my caftan. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the instructions. I did not find them to be particularly difficult. I would suggest you just trust each step and it should come together in the end. What specifically are you having trouble with?

      Delete