Monday, June 4, 2018

The Time for Easy Summer Dresses Is Here!

            

I love the ease of wearing dresses during hot summer days. There is nothing to coordinate, just throw on one piece and go. I am particular about my everyday dresses though, they need to be cool, not fussy and interesting. Here are some flashbacks of my favorites. 

Vogue 9112

Simplicity 1080

Vogue 1410
Simplicity 8793
When I saw Simplicity 8640, I loved it instantly! I knew I wanted to add it to my summer wardrobe.
                      

I was uncertain which length I wanted, so I made a muslin which I show later in the post. After making the wearable muslin, I figured out what I liked and made this black chambray version (available at Nature's Fabrics). It is my favorite of the two so, I will show it first.
                                                  

The bodice seam lines are wonderful! They are top-stitched for added definition. The neck and arms are finished with facings rather than bias binding. It gives perfect weight and support and visual interest when top-stitched.


The gathered pockets are adorable! Note, they are positioned lower than standard pockets. If pockets for you are a place to put your hands rather than for phone storage, you may consider raising them.


I enjoy the curves at the sides of this interesting hem.


At the shorter length, there is good coverage in the back.

  

Come on triple degree temps, I am ready!


For my wearable muslin, I went with a blue and white stripe seersucker stripe in the longer length with the added buttons on the pockets.

 
This pattern has the "not suitable for plaids, stripes or one-way design fabrics" prohibition.
















The bodice is bias cut so I thought is would be fun to see how it would look with stripes. I have had this fabric in my stash for years. I am sewing through my stash and with a few exceptions, I want to use what I have on hand.  I enjoyed manipulating the fabric to align the stripes the way I wanted.


 I used my walking foot to help keep things together as I sewed. 


It was not a perfect match, but it was not the pattern predicted disaster.  


Hubby thought the gathered pockets conflicted with the lines of the stripes and suggested I change them. As I have said before, hubby rarely takes a critical and assessing eye to what I make. He just sees me and goodness. A great trait for a husband, but bad for useful creative feedback. I was so impressed that he saw that, spoke up and knew how to fit it! He suggested I flip them to the ungathered lining side and it worked.


I think the the length of view A is too long to be flattering on me. I went with it because I thought it would showcase the curve at the side better. On the chambray dress, I decided the shorter was the way to go. Now that this is blogged and you have seen it, I will likely shorten this one too. 
   

Both of these dresses will get lots wear in the next few months. It was fast and easy to make and is super comfy. I like it so much, I see a linen version in my future.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

17 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm so inspired that I immediately ordered this pattern. I'd make the shorter view as well. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tina! I am glad you will be making this one too! You will love it!

      Delete
  2. I have this pattern and was hoping to see one in the wild. I like both of yours and thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! 😀 You will do it justice!

      Delete
  3. I like both dresses, but I agree that the chambray is my favorite. I also like that you tried the stripes on the first one. I think that will be really helpful to others who might want to try it. I hadn’t seen this pattern before. It looks like a great summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I am surprised how many people missed this one. A lot of comments on FB have said that. It is a great summer go to! It is funny, I love the chambray, but the stripe has gotten as many votes. 😀

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showing the striped version! I bought this pattern in all the size ranges (my daughter, mother, sister, and I are al vastly different in body types) so that I could run up a great quantity of easy summer shifts for several ladies in my family. Have been eyeing some loose-weave cotton on the clearance rack that is striped in jolly rainbow stripes, but was not sure if it would work for this dress/tunic. Your success has reassured me that I am not certifiably crazy for considering that fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were smart to buy multiple sizes! I went to buy more to make for family, but they were sold out. We may both be certifiable, but that is part of the fun of sewing for yourself! :)

      Delete
  5. AH....your dress(es) sing summer! Light. Flowy. They look so breezy and cool! Excellent job on the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue! It will be the summer of dresses!

      Delete
  6. I would have never looked twice at 8640 in the pattern book. Honestly, I’ve looked at the pattern books and I’m sure did pass by it. I absolutely love your versions of this pattern. It looks so much better on you than it does in the book. I am especially crazy about the flowy striped ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stripe looks really nice! The chambray one too. I've been debating this pattern so thanks for showcasing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is important to buy clothes made of fabrics such as cotton as it keeps the body cool. Cotton fabrics are soft and breathable. stoned emoji

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I just found it on Pinterest and you are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I just found it on Pinterest and you are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I just found it on Pinterest and you are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fantastic in this style. I am about to make it in a pink silk--but not the very drapey kind of silk. It's stiffer and I'm hoping it comes out as I'm imagining it. Thanks for your detailed post on this pattern.

    ReplyDelete