Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pattern Review Sewing Bee Round 2: Men's Dress Shirt Refashion

So, I have advanced to round two of the Pattern Review Sewing Bee. This round requires contestants to  refashion up to five dress shirts into a garment for an adult. Lucky for me, two weeks ago, I created a Pinterest board dedicated to refashions of dress shirts and was primed when the announcement was made. I went to my pin board for what had previously provided inspiration. Though they are great re-purposing projects, I thought they resembled the man shirts more closely than I liked. I wanted to use the fabric from the shirts and reference the source subtly.

I looked in my stash of shirts and found several that I could use for this project, but I wanted one more of another color. I hit the neighboring thrift store and found three shirts that made me change my plans. I saw two size 22 shirts in purple and one size 22 in blue giving me about 4 yards of fabric. Between these two shirts, I decided on a color block plan. (I am sorry for the color quality, I took those on my phone in too bright light.)
When I saw how much fabric I had, I hit my stash for a suitable pattern and found Butterick 9695.

 

 and Mccalls 4613 after my hubby suggested it needed more umph!
1970s McCall's 4613 Vintage Sewing Pattern Accessories Belts and Bags One Size

I set to work and here is the end result.


I kept the original hem of the shirts and added the button details to the collar and the obi belt.

I think my hubby was correct in suggesting the belt was needed.
I love the drama of the collar.
These are colors I would never have chosen without the confines of what was available at the store. I like them together.



I whipped this project out in a hurry! I had so many ideas swimming in my head that if I didn't just dive in, I would still be considering. I am glad to be done so I can relax. Here's to hoping I do well and move on to the next round.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing! I love what you've created out of a few old shirts. Good luck, I hope you make it through to the next round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Andrea! Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. This is really lovely. What a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this, I literally said out loud, "WHAT?!!!" I CANNOT believe you made that from dress shirts. You are the bomb! That is so amazing. I hope you win! I can't remember--is there a winner for each round or just one overall? If there is a round winner, I vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! That is just the reaction for which I was hoping! This round has a prize of $100 for fabric ;p

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Very creative. I love watching your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to see. I can feel the gears spinning in your brain with this kind of challenge. So well done!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :))

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hillary! You are correct, my wheels have been turning, and still are. I knew I had to sew this quickly because If I didn't I would still be tweaking it. :)

      Delete
  6. This is so chic and unique- I can't believe it is repurposed shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann! I am still a little surprised myself :)

      Delete
  7. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who created this post is a generous and knows how to keep the readers connected..thanks for sharing this with us found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates..
    custom dress shirts online

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete