Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Great Pattern Review Sewing Bee: Round 1

I am so excited! I have entered another contest on Pattern Review. You can read all the rules for The Great Pattern Review Sewing Bee by clicking the link. The first round project of this four- week challenge is to make an A-line skirt.  Given the time constraints, I chose to use Simplicity 2314 for the body of the skirt and Simplicity 7454 to add pocket details.


For fabric, I used Ikea Hildis 100% Cotton and lined it in grey fabric of unknown content. I was given it in an estate sale liquidation my guess is it is gauze. I would not have lined this skirt because of the weight of it, but for the contest I had to so I went with something ultra lightweight. Craftsy has a great tutorial "How to Attach Lining to an invisible zipper With a Sewing Machine", if you want to an easy way to do it. For a bit of creative interest, I added dark red piping to the exterior pockets and lower edge of the waistband.
Lining side

Red Piping

Here is the completed project in a motion GIF. Picassa, surprises me daily. It made it automatically. Now, if I can figure out how to edit that fuzzy one out.



I modified the pattern by adding three inches to the body and lining of the skirt. I omitted the center front seam and cut it on the fold for better flow.



Here's hoping I advance to the next round of the contest. If you haven't yet entered and sew quickly, there is still time.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

3 comments:

  1. Nice job matching those polka dots! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a bet with my BF that this skirt would win, it was absolutely fantastic! You're a winner since you get to wear this awesome skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding me?! Your skirt is breath-taking! I thought for sure you had it! I am so sorry you lost your bet, but you made my day!

      Delete