Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Houndstooth Dress with Contrast Sleeves Vogue 8918

 There are some patterns you see and immediately think "I have got to have that!" For me it was this delightful dress from the Vogue Fall Collection. I love everything about this contrast pullover dress. Look at the curve of the neckline and dip of the shoulders.The styling of this dress does not hurt either; she looks fierce!  I love her TWA (teeney weeney afro), her earrings and look at those shoes!


V8918
Vogue 8918

I knew I had some Houndstooth in my stash so I snatched up the pattern on sale and ran home to get started. I put the kiddos to bed and located the double knit in my fabric hoard, I mean stash. I read the instructions and cut the dress out before hitting the hay, ready to begin the next morning.

Full disclosure, I have no plans to wear this dress for many months. It is a million and one degrees in South Texas and wearing a long sleeve double knit dress guarantees one a trip to the looney bin. I was really anxious to get sewing because the kids had a play date and I had some uninterrupted time to hopefully complete it. It was just enough time to get it done.

Here is B.I.R.A. wearing my version of the Vogue dress.



I am very happy with the end result. I am happy with it, but my darling hubby is not a fan! I modeled it and he says, "I like it, but what is up with the neck. It looks like it would be uncomfortable!" Men!


Neckline curve
 
Bodice

The neck stands up well
Posing


Here is my review of the pattern

Pattern Description: Close-fitting, pullover dress has two-piece sleeves, stitched hems, and back neck/hemline slits.

Pattern Sizing:  (6-14) I cut the 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were easy to understand. The neckline curve and sleeve construction was a bit tricky when stitching the facing. It is pinned as one piece, but not stitched continuously. Pay attention to the pictures and you will do great.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I love the curve of the neckline and the fact that the sleeves are two part sleeves. It is not a complicated pattern, but the high neck and contrast sleeves are dramatic.

Fabric Used: Grey and white double knit Houndstooth that I purchased at an estate sale. The contrast is a black knit from my stash.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made none. I can see this being made in a fabric other than a knit and adding a zipper.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I made it when it is 101 degrees is Texas! I have not worn it yet and will not for a few months. I will have a better idea if I will make it again after I wear it. I would recommend others make if they like the style.

Conclusion: I saw the pattern on Thursday, cut it that night and made it on Friday! It was quick to make and has an interesting neckline.

Happy Sewing!
Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment