Thursday, May 14, 2015

Polka Dot Promises with Vogue 9112- Again!

You remember how much I loved Vogue 9112 in my lemon yellow linen, right? Well as promised, I made another for myself in a black and white polka dot cotton.
                                                

This version is just as fun as the first. I like the quirky feel the polka dots adds.



Unlike, the yellow version,  I feel like the details of the seaming are lost in the small scale print I chose. I knew this was a risk when I was making it, but I do not mind. The fabric is a mid-weight cotton with a slight texture that holds its' shape well. Knowing the volume and angles would be maintained, I proceeded with this print. If you plan to make this in a print, I suggest you choose a sturdy fabric with a large scale print so all of the fun of this pattern is not lost.


In construction, I made a couple of changes from the previous version and the pattern. I still omitted the neckline facing and opted instead to edge finish with my serger. I choose to self-line the collar so the underside of the fabric was not visible. For this, I cut two collars, stitched them right sides together along the top and sides. I then flipped it, pressed it, and then transferred the markings. From there, I sewed it to the body of the dress as instructed. 


I like that by lining it this way, I can stand the collar up or flip it down. 


I decided, to omit the arm facings and use bias tape instead. I did this just to test it because I had it on hand. It was faster than the facing and had the same result.


So, what do you think? Are the dramatic elements lost in the print? Is this a dress better suited for larger prints or solids? 


I love them both and plan to make more. It is a fun everyday show stopper perfect for the Texas heat. 

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

13 comments:

  1. I like them both. Though the yellow does reveal more of the funky cuts and details. That collar change is something to consider when I make my version of this. Thanks for the awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I am doing what I can to keep up with you and your great shots ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the show and tell! I love the polka dot version as much, or more, than the yellow one. But then, I love anything polka dotted, LOL. I do see what you're saying about the style lines being somewhat lost in the pattern, but I still see a lot of the elements in the lower skirt portion, and of course, the collar! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I LOVE polka dots too and could not resist on this one. I am glad the details are still visible.

      Delete
  3. I actually like this pattern a lot.. even more so after seeing your versions. I have a special love for polka dots... and your take on this pattern is perfect... timeless and chic... Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are both fun and sophisticated at the same time! I have fabric to make a solid version, but I love your printed one just as much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I would love to see your version when you make it!

      Delete
  5. I like them both! To me the collar is the show stopper and what I like the most in this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulinakoos! I too love the drama of this collar.

      Delete
  6. I love them both, but maybe a little partial to the polka dot version just because its so fun! Looks like you're having fun wearing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this . I have the pattern and hope to make it for the summer. Both versions look so good on you I don't think it matters that the detail is lost in the polka dot as it adds a different focus. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. both of these are absolutely fantastic and you make such a great model. oh I want to put my serger to more use with clothing. I just need 40 more hours to every day! your clothes making is uber inspiring

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete