Thursday, January 17, 2019

Mama, Me and He: My "In Bloom" Fabric Got Hijacked

I am a bit obsessed with fabrics with metallic accents lately. I don't know if my fabric tastes were going that way or if those fabrics produced by Riley Blake Designs, are feeding that obsession.  


For this project, I chose the In bloom Gold Dot Sparkle and In bloom Gold Stripe Sparkle with the plan of making Butterick 6351 in the jumpsuit pictured in view D.
Image result for butterick 6351
When the fabric arrived, I was double teamed by the Littles! Both kids loved the sparkle and dots and stripes and asked (cute puppy-eye pleaded) for me to switch my plan to include projects for them. My jumpsuit plan needed a switch up.
  

I stuck with the pattern and decided on the dress from view C. I used the stripe for the front of the dress,  



and both the dots and stripe for the back




This dress style is a departure from my usual and I like it; the saturated gold is so beautiful. 


The children, proud of their victory, chose coordinating shirts with their share of the fabric.



Little Miss chose a tunic from Simplicity 8105. The insets were perfect to add stripe accents to contrast the polka dots.


The Little Man is on a never-ending quest to always wear pajamas! He chose the top from Simplicity 8806 and added a stripe pocket. The back and sleeves of both are made with a plush knit from my stash. 




I have been told that the days of them wanting me to make their clothes will come to an end. When we are scrapping it out over fabric catalogs and fabric deliveries, I can't see it. It brings me such joy to hear their input on their style, color choices and reasons behind them. They are so proud to wear the clothes they "designed" and I make for them. I will sacrifice any amount of yardage to hold onto those moments and share this process with them!

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

21 comments:

  1. Your family garments are so happy and fun! Love that you're sharing this process with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I am fortunate that they want to be a part of it.

      Delete
  2. This post is absolutely joyful. Love that the kids want you to make them items and everyone managed to look smashing after sharing the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We had a good time taking photos and being silly. I could not bare their faces if I didn't share the fabric, I am so glad we all got outfits we love.

      Delete
  3. Such a joyful post Bianca. Dia is 8 years old and she did go through a phase in which she wasn't wearing any clothes I made for her. Turns out that she no longer wanted to wear dresses. She still wanted me to sew for her. So now she is a part of the design process. She picks out the style (she never goes with a pattern, because she wants me to always change it) , fabric and off we go. I've made some reverse applique projects for her and she has always helped with painting. So fun! In my next top for her, I may let her sew some seams as well. I love the collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear what they want and to understand why. Little Miss went through a "no dresses" phases too! I really wanted to make a particular one for her. When I stressed that it was a pretty dress, she asked what's the point of being pretty if you are not happy? That ended that! I took my brilliant child pattern shopping for happy clothes! It is so good to get both of them chiming in!

      Delete
  4. With the collaborative approach you take to sewing your kids' clothes, I suspect the point at which they stop wearing the clothes *you* make is the point at which they start wearing the clothes *they* make. You are respecting their choices and helping them develop a distinctive personal style. They are unlikely to want to bend to the style choices of commercially available "store-bought" clothes. Ask me how I know! :-)

    Signed, A kid who insisted her mom fulfill her design ideas until she was old enough to make her own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so good to hear! I try to have them take an individual approach to most things, so I suspect you are a correct. They have strong opinions and a strong independent streaks, I will likely give them free reign when it is time.

      Delete
  5. Oh YAY! It's so fun to see your version! I love the gold. The polka dots. And the stripes. All together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue! I had fun with these and it is great that the kids contributed and love their part in the process. There will be more metallics in my future.

      Delete
  6. Precious Mama and precious Kids!!! What a pleasure to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stripes and polka dot mix and what a great look that dress is on you! Beautiful all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had a blast playing with the fabrics and I am pleased with this!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous family and great makes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is lovely in this delightful fabric. I love that your "littles" wanted something made from it also. Their tops look so cute. Great way to use this fabric for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda! I was dreaming of the jumpsuit and the lines of the stripes down my legs! :) It would have been nice, but this is so much better!

      Delete
  10. This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your work and your joy with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a happy post!! I love the littles outfits~ and your dress is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete