Monday, November 16, 2020

Craving a Day at the Beach

Like most of the world, this pandemic is taking a toll on me. Hubby and I are working from home and both kids are learning virtually. We are doing all we can to stay safe and healthy and will continue to do so until we don't have to any longer. That being said, it is a lot with 24-hour peopling (introverts you hear me?) and few places to retreat and regroup. Before Covid-19, when we wanted a break we would take a quick day trip to a nearby city or drive down to the beach.

Nature's Fabric has a new range of print fabrics and the Abalone bamboo spandex knit immediately caught my eye. The fabric is full of colors, movement and reminded me of oyster shells, lobster bisque and a day at the wharf.

The prints are available in several colorways and I chose the blue.

I wanted to choose a pattern with few pieces so as not to break up the flow of the lovely print. I had Mccalls 7471 in my stash and I went with the cowl neck tunic in  view D.
I was recently gifted some Wonderfil Rayon threads  and used them in the construction of this dress. I don't usually think about threads beyond the matching of the color to my fabric of  choice. I was intentional with this one thinking about how it worked. My overall experience with it can be summarized in a word, smooth. Winding, threading, stitching with it was all smooth and easy. I like the sheen, vibrant color and even stitching in my serger and coverstitch machines.


The fabric drapes beautifully and clings nicely where it is meant to. 


I like the flow of the cowl into the sleeves and the tapering to the narrower skirt.


This was not a straight out the package make for me. I cut my usual size, but it was too wide in the hips. There are defined hip curves that made me look like I was packing a set of hip-shooters. 

It was a simple fix to straighten them out reducing them down by about 1/2in. on each side of the skirt.
 

I kept the length as defined by the pattern and like where it falls. 


To combat my cabin fever, I am try to make the most of beautiful days with sunny skies and light breezes outdoors. It is not the total freedom I crave, but it helps. How are you finding ways to stay grounded and seek peace in these difficult times? 


Happy Sewing,
Bianca


No comments:

Post a Comment