Thursday, November 12, 2020

Zebra Blush Bliss

 

I know what I like and what I don't like, but I am always open to changing my mind. Animal prints have for years been firmly in the "don't like" category. There is no logic or rationale behind that assessment, just a preference. Recently however, Riley Blake Designs released some new animal print collections that made me radically rethink my thoughts on them. My previous post showcased my new dress using "On Safari" where my new obsession began.


I am really excited to see that Mimi G designed a new fabric collection with Riley Blake Designs. Her fun animal print collection includes knits and rayon challis in fun and unexpected color combinations. 




Of all the options available, I chose the Zebra Blush Rayon with an eye to make a maxi dress using a vintage pattern. 


I decided on Mccalls 4765 which has been in my stash for many years waiting for the perfect fabric. I love the maxi-length, neckline detail and front ties for shaping. I chose to make view A with a modified sleeve from view B.


I loved the original dress design, but found it impractical for my day-to-day life. I decided to switch it up to make it more casual as a front-split tunic. This simple modification only required leaving the front open below the waistline and finishing the raw edges.


I added an elastic casing to the hems of the sleeves instead of the cuffs suggested by the pattern. These felt a bit more relaxed and sweet, perfect for the color and drape of the luscious fabric. 


I love this piece! The fabric makes me happy and the modification to the ordinary pattern feels fun and fresh. 


Is there a fabric, technique, or style you have been reluctant to consider? Do you have a hard and fast rule against it or just a vague preference, like I did? What's it going to take to have you rethink it? I hope you do and love the result like I do!


Happy Sewing,
Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment