I'm sure it's a great game, but I have never played Twister. I was recently given the game by a friend who was decluttering. I opened the box, saw the fun polka dots and felt the feel of the plastic. I immediately knew my non-playing Twister streak would continue; it just screamed protective rain gear! The plastic would be a perfect and the fun colors would brighten my spirits on a cloudy rainy day.
A single play mat is sufficient yardage to make a raincoat or small poncho depending on the pattern layout and design taste. I really wanted to maximize the "Twister" text and to be certain I had more than enough "fabric", I sought out a second mat and got to work.
I have many good candidates in my pattern stash for this project. I was anxious to get started so I decided on my Simplicity 6630 reversible poncho pattern. I know it works and it was already cut.
I made a few changes to the original design. Here are the construction elements:
- I choose a tone on tone cotton fabric for the lining. After cutting the Twister fabric out I serged the individual pieces to the matching lining pieces. With right sides together, I stitched all but the top together then turned and pressed the lining side with a medium heat setting. In doing this, I finished the edges and added weight to the poncho.
- Omitted the center back seam.
- Installed a separating zipper to the front
- Secured the sides with black heavy duty snaps
- Added a pocket on the right side, camouflaging it somewhat in a green polka dot.
- Positioned the hood to accommodate the word Twister only partially maintaining the back seam of the hood.
- Lined the hood with the Twister fabric so it is visible when flipped down.
- Topstitched the outer edge of the entire garment securing the lining to the plastic.
The interior seams were mostly sewn on my serger with a basic four-thread seam. The machine sewing was done using a ball point needle to minimize damage to the plastic. When possible, I stitched with the lining fabric on the bottom to prevent feeding issues with the plastic. I was able to use my general purpose foot with no problem.
***Update*** I am making another using the modern McCalls 6209. I will share the changes I made when I am done.
Stay dry and Happy Sewing,