Monday, March 4, 2013

Super Swaps on Flickr

I signed up to participate in a small bag or pouch swap in a Flickr group. I was assigned a partner for whom I am to make a bag or pouch. In exchange, another person in the group would make one for me. This is my first swap, so I was nervous about what to make. So, without an idea of what to make, I focused on choosing the fabric.

I pulled these fabrics from my stash based on the color pallet from swap partner. I thought I would make a bag with the wood or plastic handles, but decided against it. In the end, I choose to make a bag using the two bottom prints from the Amy Butler Love collection. I found this pattern (Simplicity 0579) in my stash and decided to modify view D.
Rather than construct it with patchwork in the center, I opted to use one fabric for the entire exterior and another for the lining. To add a bit of contrast and texture, I added a raw edge gathered flower pin with a covered button center.
Simplicity 0579 view D
Detail of the gatherer flower pin.
I think I will add a few surprise goodies for my partner to enjoy with her new pouch. I hope she likes it!

Here is my Review of the pattern:

Pattern Description:
Multiple Patchwork Purse, make-up bag, key chain

Pattern Sizing:

One size I made view D

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, the shape, but I modified the rest. I did not do patchwork. Instead I used a complete cut of fabric and added a gathered flower pin with a covered button.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I disliked that the lining had to be slip-stitched to the body. It was an unnecessary pain, I think there should be a prettier way to do this; maybe an opening in the bottom lining. It is not a deal breaker though.
Fabric Used:
Cotton fabric from the Amy Butler Love line.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I did not do patchwork. Instead I used a complete cut of fabric and added a gathered flower pin with a covered button.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I will. I would.

Conclusion:
Cute Pouch, Easy to sew, I would make again.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment