Monday, February 18, 2013

Pattern Review Mccall's 6658



I had a few minutes on Saturday to run to Hancock Fabrics for more button and craft thread. I found that they were having a $1 sale on Mccalls patterns. I was looking for a shirt pattern for knits. I wanted something that looked good, but was also easy to construct and kid friendly. Mccalls 6658 seemed to fit the bill.  

After working on Alabama Chanin hand-sewn projects and my embroidery entry in the last month, it is a relief to get to the machine again. I whipped this little number up in a couple of hours and I am very pleased with it's weird drapey-ness.


Here is my review with pictures.


Mccall's 6658

Drapey top

Worn as a poncho



Pattern Description:
Pullover tops. A: Armhole bands. A,B,C: Close-fitting, neck bands. D: Very loose-fitting, reverse construction finish on neckline, front and back cut-in-one, narrow hem, openings for arms and wrong side shows on back hemline. Loose-fitting shorts or straight-legged pants have elastic waist. E: Attached tie. Designed for A,B,C,D: moderate stretch knits only; E,F: medium weight woven and knit fabrics.

Pattern Sizing:
XSM-Med This is for view D – I made a Medium, but for the next I will make the small.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, if I sit like her I guess. I don’t think the single image shows the wearing options.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, though I had to turn the radio off at points to be sure I concentrated. If you follow the pictures and read carefully, you will do fine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I had no dislikes on this one.
I liked the option of wearing this as a cowl neck shirt or a poncho. I liked the seams and the armhole openings.  I like that it looks like more effort than it really is.

Fabric Used:
very light weight knit from my stash

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
none

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might make view D again with a much smaller cowl or none at all.
Conclusion:
I really like this top it has sleeves that are short enough to not get in the way and just enough warmth when you only need a little. Be sure to use a very lightweight fabric. This top also works great as a nursing cover! My son got lost under all the fabric!

1 comment:

  1. That is soooo nice. I have to try that one when I get the chance. i bought a pattern that is somewhat similar (well, maybe not), but it has that kind of layering and can be worn different ways. It is simplicity 2603. I love that top and hope to make it soon. Thanks for sharing. You certainly wear the top nicely. It looks good!!

    ReplyDelete