Thursday, October 25, 2018

Spruced Up Waxed Canvas Jacket

                      
                         

Have you sewn with waxed canvas before? I love the look if it on bags and jackets and bought some wax with the plan of treating fabric to make my own. The wax and fabric have remained untouched in my sewing room since December waiting for the motivation to begin the work.


                                 
         
Fabric Funhouse, my source for cork fabric, now sells high quality waxed canvas in a range of colors.  

                                      

I was approached by the company to make a jacket for their booth at the upcoming The International Quilt Festival in Houston. Because they are awesome, I agreed. I could not decide which color I liked best, so I asked them to surprise me with whatever they wanted. They chose well and I was sent the fabric in a rich garnet color. It is a color I love and wear often in my lipstick.

As you all know, I love fabric painting and bold prints; I rarely wear solid colors. I read on the website that the "wax does not transfer or migrate onto other fabrics, leathers and your designer linings." This gave me the idea that the wax permeates the fabric, rather than sit on top of it. I figured it would respond favorably to stencil painting. It was a risky proposition because typical printed waxed fabrics have the wax added after the print is laid. After a couple of successful test swatches, I was convinced I wanted to do it.

I usually like to airbrush paint my fabric. In anticipation of readers wanting to try this technique, I opted for a more accessible paint method. I used 4 cans of Tulip Color Shot Fabric Paint in Pewter Shimmer. It is available on amazon and in craft stores. If you follow me on Instagram, you know the saga and my hoarding of this now discontinued color.


I painted the design of my new Cobbles stencil on the cut fabric pieces of a modified Simplicity 8298. To maximize efficiency, I stitched three of my felt stencils together along the long edges to make a larger stencil. I applied a light layer spray adhesive to the back of the stencil before setting it on the fabric. This helps give sharp edges to the motifs and prevents paint for getting under the stencil during spraying. The paint was applied in multiple light layers to give even coverage. After completing an area, I re-positioned the stencil, covered the already painted area and continued painting until done.

When working with waxed canvas, special considerations are needed. A full list of care and considerations can be found here, some bullet points are below:
  1. Expect creases, cracks and texture on the fabric surface
  2. Use clips, not pins to hold your fabric
  3. Use a press cloth and clapper if you must press it
  4. Press on medium heat
  5. Use a size 100/16 or 100/18 needle
  6. Use at least a 3mm stitch length and heavy duty thread
  7. Clean your machine to remove any build-up after and replace your needle                                          
As I mentioned, I modified Simplicity 8298 for this jacket. It is written for  pre-quilted fabrics, but I liked the simple shape and minimal seam lines so I tweaked it to work for this. I opted to make a lined version of view C with the length of view A. I added side seam pockets instead of the visible ones given.

                      Image result for simplicity 8298

I basically made an exterior from the canvas and another from a basic black broadcloth. I get confused every time I do it, so I refer to the bagged lining method demonstrated on this blog


It makes for a clean finish on the inside and out.

 
I am really pleased with this jacket! I tested it on a rainy day and its water repellent qualities worked like a charm! The paint is durable and was worth the gamble. I feel like stencil painting opens up so many design possibilities with this fabric.

 

I cut the size medium based on my measurements. Because I did not use prequilted fabric and the stiffness of the canvas, I think it looks a smidge too big in these photos. That being said, it feels comfortable to wear and I am certain with fall layering it will be fine.  


If you will be at Quilt Fest, you can see this jacket close up at the Fabric Funhouse booth. I will be out and about when not helping at The Paradiso Designs booth (947). If you see me, please say hello. 

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

17 comments:

  1. Love what you did! The paint was a brilliant idea! I'll be under the AllBrands tent at the festival, working with Embroidery Garden! Hope to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Will you be there for Market and Festival or just Festival? I will pop by.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fabulous, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look like you are having so much fun in those pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I crack myself up! It's just me and my tripod!

      Delete
  5. You are so creative and come up with the BEST ideas! LOVE YOUR COAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I dream these things up and hope for the best! It is always a bonus when it works out!

      Delete
  6. Love, love this adorable coat! I'll be at Quilt Festival and certainly look for you and the coat. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly an inspiration. I don't know that I want to do this much work, but I just love your coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Terry. It's totally worth the time. You will have a one-of-a-kind piece of wearable art! The stenciling can be achieved in an afternoon. The construction is pretty simple on the jacket. I encourage you to reconsider, you can do it!

      Delete
  8. This jacket is so amazing. As are all your creations! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello - looks absolutely stunning. I am a bit confused though. I was told it was impossible to paint onto waxed fabric as the wax acts as a barrier to the paint. However, I had to try after seeing this. I used a medium heat. The paint just lifted off and the wax too, leaving the fabric ruined. Is there something I don't know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellie, I am sorry your project was not successful. I have used this technique on several projects and I have not had the issues you describe. In time the paint has continued to adhere to the waxed canvas. Did you use the same paint and brand of canvas? Maybe there is an interaction between the wax and paint?

      Delete