Wednesday, December 9, 2020

The Season for Plaid


Fall and Winter are the seasons for plaid and I wanted to add some, in the form of pants, to my wardrobe.


When I was deciding on my plaid choice for those available from Riley Blake Designs, my heart was drawn to the All About Plaids Tartan Blue Green. I had nostalgic feelings reminding me of my childhood days. This print is similar to my grammar and high school uniforms. Girls were required to wear dresses and skirts, but much to my chagrin, never pants. This was my chance to rebel. 


Plaid matching requires a bit of time, concentration and extra yardage to get it right. When done correctly, it is always worth the effort to me. With this fabric, I did not want to make a complicated project, just an everyday pair of pants.


The no-side seam pants by McCalls is a great no fuss pattern. It consists of two pant legs and waistband facings, that is all.

The simplicity of the pattern means the plaid only needs to be matched at the inner leg. It's a great pattern for those hesitant  to try plaids for fear of getting it wrong.


The fit is easy and relaxed and the fabric is comfortable. The cotton is slightly lighter weight than standard quilting cotton so it falls nicely without being stiff. 

   

These pants fill a hole in my wardrobe and I love that they pair easily with my other memades.


If you have been reluctant to sew plaids because of the complexity of matching, don't be. Start with a simple pattern, fabric you love and go for it.

Happy Sewing,
Bianca

2 comments:

  1. Love the whole outfit. I have that pattern and now I know what to do with it!!

    ReplyDelete