Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fast sprint to the end of the Sewing Pattern Review Contest.

As the Pattern Review Pattern Busting contest winds down, I realize I have neglected to review a couple of patterns I completed. Here as I sprint to the end, are those reviews.

First up is the Brocade Circle Dress McCalls 5033: Perfect for twirling!

Twirling


Front



Dress back

Pattern Description: Children's' dress in 2 lengths

Pattern Sizing: Children 3 to 12 (I made the 4)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes with omissions.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes and no. I was easy for me as I have inserted a lining like this before. I was sewing this with students and they found the instructions on the lining difficult. The pattern called for constructing the bodice by turning under 5/8 at the armhole and topstitching it. With my help, they were able to do it, but all said that without my help they would have been lost.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that this pattern had a full skirt that my daughter liked. I disliked that the length of the bodice seemed short. I would have preferred if it came down to the bellybutton. I found the length of the skirt was too long on the long, but too short on the shorter length. If I make this again, both will need to be lengthened. 


Fabric Used: Silk brocade that my sister bought in Indonesia. 


Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I omitted the skirt lining and ruffle. I had intended to sew them, but as I went along changed my mind. I found the density of the brocade with the other elements would have been too much fabric.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I am on the fence about making it again. Little Miss loves it, but I have many more patterns  I may try before redoing this.  I guess I would not recommend either as I will not use it again in my lessons.

Conclusion: OK pattern, but not top of my list. 



 Next up for review is this a out of print asymmetrical top  from Vogue.


This pattern came from my mother's pattern stash. It was uncut so I felt good about busting her stash as well as mine. My intention when I started out was to make the top and skirt. I made both, but am unhappy with the skirt. I will continue to work on it until it is at a point I can wear it.

I love the asymmetrical top with contrast binding. It was easy to make and came together quickly. I used a knit fabric I purchased at a resale store. The top calls for 1 1/2 yards of fold-over braid to serve as binding. I had never seen any in the local fabric stores, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had just that amount in my notions stash! It is applied like bias tape and went on without a hitch. I don't like that I am dependent on luck to find more fold-over braid for future tops.

I will make another top with this pattern. For the next one, I will add a strap on the bare side wide enough to hide my bra strap. With two little ones tugging on me, it is important be secure :).

Here are the photos of the top.




Next up is  Simplicity 2512 Cynthia Rowley Collection Tulip Skirt 

Here is the review followed by the photos.

Pattern Description: Misses' Skirts. Cynthia Rowley Collection Tulip Skirt

Pattern Sizing:4-12, 14-22 I made the 12 because I find this line runs small.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, the instructions are pretty clear and easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the tulip detail of the skirt.

Fabric Used: Cotton Poly blend

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I installed an exposed zipper in the back. 


 Conclusion: Fun skirt to make. I will make it again in the size 10.


Tulip Skirt detail

 








That is all for now.
Happy Sewing

1 comment: