Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Retro Cowl Neck Tunic and Review of Simplicity 5956



 I signed up for the Pattern Review Stash Busting contest this month. I don't know what I was thinking with all I have going on, but I did. I figure, I will sew something during the time frame, so why not pull from my stash. I had this 2 hour dress pattern in my stash for a long time. The copyright says 2002! Have I owned it that long and not sewn it? I am ashamed of myself! Lucky thing fashion is cyclical and this contest came along.
Simplicity 5956

I believe the contest is for pattern busting, I am also busting my fabric stash. I LOVE retro obnoxious prints (feel free to send me your Granny's stash!). I like reproductions, but I do a happy dance when I find the real deal! I found the fabric for this tunic at a local thrift store and it was waiting for a project like this!
fabric swatch


When I bought this pattern, the size 12-18 range would have worked. I have since lost some weight and had to grade the pattern down to fit. With so few pattern pieces, I didn't think it would be difficult. My plan was to make the dress in view d with no alterations. When I did a pin fit for hemming, I happened to pull the front up and loved the mullet look. So, I used a plate as a template to cut the front and eyeballed the rest. It came out great!

Here are the Pictures!

Front


 
Drape

 
Back
 Here is my review of the pattern

Pattern Description: Knit Coordinates

Pattern Sizing: My range was 12-18, I cut the 12 and graded down to an 8. I used View d (drape front dress) as my base.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No. I made modifications.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked everything. It was very easy to make and modify.

Fabric Used: Thrifted Knit fabric (content unknown)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made it with a hi-low hem and used the Serger for edge finishing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, and yes. I have a custom order from someone!

Conclusion: Great wardrobe builder or beginner pattern.


Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment