Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Playing Around With Bias Strip Applique Again


So, I was stumbling over my spools of bias trim wondering what my next project with them would be. I loved the skirt I made for Little Miss and decided I wanted one for myself.



This time, I decided make mine a bit different and used out of print McCalls 4457 pattern as my base.

I cut the pieces for cotton in my stash. I chose fabrics I would likely not use for anything else because they would be covered by the bias strips.  After sewing the long seam, I drew lines 1" apart and applied the strips 1/4" from the the edge of the strip. For this skirt, I only sewed one end of the strip down allowing the other to hang free. I began sewing at the bottom of the skirt allowing the succeeding strip to overlap the one before. 


I sewed past the edge of the fabric and serged them down when they were all done. 
I even like the stitching on the flip side.


Overskirt and underskirt
I got to this point of the construction and did not know what to do with the upper portion. I thought going in the opposite direction would be interesting so I changed direction. It was distracting to look at so I unpicked it all. I decided to continue on the same path as before using the color from the bottom.


I joined the underskirt to the outer skirt allowing it to be lined with wrong sides together. I installed an invisible zipper and applied facing to the waistband.


The last thing to be done was the hand-sewing of the hem. I slip-stitched the entire length of it by securing it to the lining. This was a tedious, but worthwhile task to not have any stitches show on the outside. 




For a project that I started without a complete vision, I am very pleased.
This skirt by the numbers:
✂ Base fabric: 3 1/8 yards 
✂ Rows of bias: 54 
✂ Shortest length: 2.5" 
✂ Longest length: 47"
✂ Total length of bias: 47 yards. 
✂ Length of hem to hand sew: 5.5 yards 

I love the lines of the bias and the texture it gives. The unfinished edges will weather with time, wear and washing. I am excited to watch this fall apart in the best way.




The completion of this shirt coincides with the PR Skirt contest so I have entered it. We will see how that goes.



I have yards and yards of these colors of bias as well as green and blue still. I am excited to see how I use them next.





Happy Sewing,
Bianca

11 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I love seeing all the different sides of the dress. Each view is interesting and amazing. A+!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what patience you have to sew all those strips together with amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you knew me in real life patient is not a top word for me. :) It is so funny to hear myself described that way. I understand why. I wish I could explain how fast I work even in doing these time consuming tasks. :)

      Delete
  3. As lovely and interesting as your previous bias strip makes! Love them all! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks so awesome... a true argument for hard work paying off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so! I am pleased with it!

      Delete
  5. Really fabulous! The fit is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fabulous! The fit is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete